How will Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves perform at the box office? In our long-range box office forecast, we are going to take a look at how it’ll take on the domestic and worldwide box office.
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves is based on a tabletop role-playing game with the same name – the game has over 50 million players and is popular amongst pop culture geeks! Shows such as Stranger Things have only elevated their popularity.
With a budget of $151 million, there are lots at stake here for Paramount Pictures – I will be diving into the advantages and disadvantages of Dungeons & Dragons’ upcoming box office run:
- Based on an extremely popular role-playing game – as stated, 50 million players. The film already has a foundation of an audience that it can wield to get people into seats. Fans of the RPG are a passionate crowd and will likely show up for the film.
- Critically acclaimed (as of now) with a Rotten Tomatoes score of 91% with 31 reviews and the social media reactions have also been overwhelmingly positive. While this may not translate to a significant boost in opening weekend, it will definitely play into WOM and its multiplier by the end of its run.
- Chris Pine and Michelle Rodriguez headline a solid and well-balanced cast that could appeal to the casual moviegoers as well as the tone struck, as conveyed through marketing, is comedically self-aware which can also play a part in broadening the audience beyond the passionate D&D fanbase.
- 2023 has gifted us with March madness for the movie release slate and Dungeons & Dragons is sure to feel the effects of this. Particularly when it comes at the back of male-driven audience (think Creed III, John Wick: Chapter 4 and Shazam! Fury of the Gods), which may impact the potential of this film.
- It is now safe to say (as we are close enough to the release date) that the marketing campaign for the film has not been very impactful. Social media metrics support this. There has been lots of goodwill coming from the SXSW festival where the film premiered and perhaps Paramount Pictures will incorporate the critical acclaim to create some buzz outside of the fanbase.
Our Box Office Forecast for Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves:
Domestic Box Office:
Opening Weekend: $27 million
Total: $80 million
Worldwide Box Office:
Total: $225 million
Subscribe to the MovieGainz Email Newsletter and never miss out on our box updates including forecasting, predictions and analysis.